Impact of Farmforestry on Socio-Economic Condition of Farming Communities in District Mardan, Pakistan

Kamran Khan, Sami Ullah, Asad Ullah, Salman Khan, M. Yoserizal Saragih

Abstract


The present study was carried out to find out the socio-economic impacts of farm forestry on tree farmers in district Mardan. Survey was conducted in four villages and the farmers were asked directly at their farms through a well structure questionnaire. Most of the respondents were literate with large family size. Average farm size was found to be 9.43 acres. 15% of the respondents were self-cultivator while 85% were tenant. In the study area 13700 trees of different species have been planted on an average of 249 trees per farm. 66% farmers were interested to plant more trees on their farm in future, while 34% were found uninterested. It was noted that 7015 tress were sold at an average of 127 trees per farm during last five years and Rs 1903000 were earned from sale of trees. Fifty eight percent of the respondents were found agree and 23% disagree when they were asked whether they were socio-economically uplifted or not. 76% of respondents grow trees for sale and remaining 24% grow trees for domestic purpose. 11% of respondents purchased fuel wood during the last 10 years and the remaining 89% did not.  14% of the respondents purchased timber during last ten years while 86% did not. Those respondents who were found agree earned two types more income.


Keywords


farm forestry; socio-economic condition; tree farmer; Mardan; Pakistan

Full Text:

PDF

References


Aripin Marpaung. (2020). Increasing Economic Empowerment of the People through Productive Waqf. Britain International of Humanities and Social Sciences (BIoHS) Journal, 2(3), 632-642. https://doi.org/10.33258/biohs.v2i3.313

Amjad, M. 1990 “Fuelwood Scarcity in Pakistan” Pak Journal of Forestry, October, 1990.pp:274-276.

Amjad, M., Khan, N. and Hakim Shah.1996 “Forestry Statistics of Pakistan” P.F.I Peshawar.p:6.

Anon, 1993 Monthly Statistics Bulletin, January 1993, Federal Bureau of Statistics, Statistical Division, Government of Pakistan.

Ashraf, S. 1994. Perception of tree farmer about tree planting in Attock District. Thesis report Pak. Journal of Forestry.p:74.

Brandle, J.R., Johnson, B.B. and Akeson, T. 1992. Field wind break: are they economical of production agriculture.No.5.pp:393-398.

Chambers, R and Leach, M. 1987. Trees to meet contingencies; Saving and Security, for rural poor. IDS discussion paper, Institute of development studies. University of Sussex.pp:228-229.

Cheema, M.A., Z.I., M.U, Hassan and D.J Bandarogoda. 1997 Socioeconomic baseline survey for a pilot project on water users organizations in the Hakra 4-R distributor command area, Pakistan National Programme, Report No.R-37. IIMI, Lahore.

Comb, C. 1982. Agroroforestry techniques in tropical countries potential and limitations. Agroforestry system, Vol.1. pp: 13-27.

Conroy, C 1993. Ecalyptus sales by small farmers in eastern Gujrat. Agroforestry system. Vol.pp:1-10.

Dove, M.R. 1988. Prospect of farm forestry in Pakistan [Part II], household level of determinants. Pak. Journal of forestry, P. F. I Peshawar .VOL.38.pp:125-132

Hafeez, M. 1985. Thesis on Agroforestry and Strategies for Pakistan. Oxford Forestry Institute, UK.

Hafiz, M. 1987. Agroforestry and its strategies for Pakistan [Thesis] Oxford, Forest Institute University of Oxford.

Jamil, A.Q. 1988. Tradition to farm forestry problems, the Punjab NWFP and Baluchistan. Report No.7 to I G F, Pakistan.

Khan, M.M. and betters, D.R. 1990. Economic analysis of agroforestry options for small irrigated farmers in Punjab province, Pakistan. Pak Journal of Forestry P.F.I. Peshawar .Vol.40.206-209.

Khan, S.A. 1994. Economic aspect of utilizing Eucalyptus for pulp and paper in Punjab. Thesis report. Pak Journal of Forestry.p:87.

King, 1980. Concept of agroforestry in International co-operation in agroforestry edited by Chandler, T. and Spargeon D. ICRAF. Nairobi.

Kulbashan B. and Sigh, K. 1994. Economic of farmforestry, a case study in Shankorpura village, District Panchmahal, Gujrat, India. Working paper, Institute of rural management. PP; 34-61.

Lundgren, V.P. 1982. Introduction of agroforestry systems Vol.1,pp:3-6.

Malik, F.B. Shah, 1995. Allelopathic effect of Eucalyptus species on legumes vegetables. Pak. of Forestry.P:65

Morron, T.M. 1987. Agroforestry system as an alternative in colonization area, In Colombia, Fomento Forestal.No.9.pp:236-254.

Nair, 1984. Soil productivity aspect of agroforestry science and practice of agroforestry No.1 International Council for Research in agroforestry [CRAF], Nairobi Kenya.

Parvaz, A. 1989. Eucalyptus in agroforestry its effects on agricultural production and economics. Agroforestry system Vol.8.pp:31-38.

Patnaik, A.K. 1996. Marketing of farmforestry produce; a new challenge for farmers. In special issue: agroforestry. Indian Forester.No.122.pp:637-640.

Rafique M. and M. Hafeez. 1994. Allelopathic effect of Eucalyptus camaldulensis on wheat [Triticum astivum] crop. Pak journal of Forestry. P: 152.

Rao, N.R. 1989. Afforestation in poverty alleviation Indian journal of forestry. No.2.pp:90-95.

Said, F. 1991. Contribution of agroforestry towards the socio-economic development of Charsadda district, NWFP Pakistan. Pak Journal of Forestry. October91 pp: 207.

Samra, J.S., Grewal, and G. Singh. 1993. Modelling competition of paired columns of Eucalptus on interplanted grass. Agroforestry systems.Vol.21.pp:177-190.

Sharma, R.O. 1993. The socio-economic evaluation of social forestry policy in India.Ambio.Vol.22pp:219-224.

Sheikh, M.I. 1986. Acacia nilotica, for rural development in Pakistan. A century old experience in social forestry, community forestry lesson from case studied in Asia and Punjab.

Sheikh, M.I. 1986. Towards a National conservation strategy for Pakistan. Proceeding of the Pak. Workshop, Govt. of Pakistan Environmental and Urban affair division, Islamabad let.No.pp:7-11.

Sheikh, M.I. and Khaliq, A.A 1982. Effect of tree belts on yield of agriculture crops. Pak Journal of forestry, P.F.I. Peshawar.Vol.pp.21-23.

Shephered, G. 1997. Trees on the farm and people in the forest: social science perspectives in tropical forestry. In special issue. Contribution of social science to forestry. Common wealth Forestry review.Vol.76. pp: 47-52.

Siddiqui, K.M. 1991. Financial analysis of differing type of tree plantation in Pakistan Journal of Forestry, Vol.41.pp:60-68.

Subhan, F. 1990. Financial analysis of selected shelterbelts species in Pakistan Pak Journal of forestry.P.F.I.Peshawar.Vol.40.pp:247-252.

Thomas, T. H. Melean Sct. 1984. Farmer attitude to forestry. A baries UK. Department of agriculture economics University college of Wales.pp:45-54.

Verma, D.P.S. 1991. Evalvation of agroforestry practices in Gujrat State, India. Special issue. Agroforestry: Principles and practices. Proceeding of an international conference 23-28 July 1989 at the University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK, edited by Jarvis, P.G. Forest Ecology and Management. Vol.45.pp:325-335.

Wittrock, S. 1996. Farmers’ plantations. Forest plantations [Eucalyptus camaldulensis] established with support of loan provided by Burapha Agroforestry Company in Laos, South-east Asia: a minos field study. Swedish University of Agri. Science. No.317.p:52.

Zulkifli, Nurdiana, & Muchsin. (2020). Strengthening Economic Civic in Forming Independence of Santri as the Good Governance (Case Study of Al-Ittifaq Islamic Boarding School, Rancabali, Bandung). Britain International of Humanities and Social Sciences (BIoHS) Journal, 2(2), 429-439. https://doi.org/10.33258/biohs.v2i2.241




DOI: https://doi.org/10.33258/birci.v3i4.1276

Article Metrics

Abstract view : 22 times
PDF - 4 times

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.